Finally, I got ‘er done and posted: “Je refuse!”, consisting of musings based on a couple of browser tabs covering vat-grown Frankenmeat, artificial sweeteners, and general nutrition that I’ve had sitting open for some little time now, just waiting to be put to good use. A taste (ahem):
At the end of the day, what have we learned from all this, then? Simple: the dietary advice urged on us by FederalGovCo and its bevy of bought-and-paid-for “health” Chicken Littles, nutritional-science “experts,” and miscellaneous panic-ninny scolds and Church Ladies should never, EVER be trusted. Remember: these selfsame “experts” spent years telling us a lot of alarming things about the error of our mealtime ways:
- Butter is hazardous to your health for numerous reasons; eat only margarine instead
- Eggs are artery-clogging death-spheroids, stay away from them altogether
- Red meat? Oh good LORD, no!
- Stick strictly to the guidelines of the hallowed Food Pyramid and you can’t possibly go wrong, trust us
- Bacon? PLEASE tell me you’re joking
- Salt is the Silent Killer©, a more serious threat to life, limb, and longevity than hang-gliding, bungee-jumping, and hitch-hiking COMBINED
All these warnings and many more were used as clubs to beat Normal Americans into changing their ideas about what they should and should not be eating…and then, twenty or so years later, the “experts” turned on a dime and reversed every last one of them.
CF Lifers of a certain age will doubtless recall those dire warnings concerning the unspeakable horrors of eggs, butter, red meat, &c that we all grew up being bludgeoned with. Then, it was a spell of faddish bushwa insisting on the otherwordly health benefits and moral superiority of vegetarianism/veganism—eventually followed by the predictably deflating, in some cases even disastrous, results. Read the rest of it, subscribe, all that jazz.