Why have we got into a huge criminal investigation, defending some obscure matter relating to the spouse of a buffoon, and an unqualified fraud who basically lied about everything he discovered in Niger?
Excellent question, Mr. Steyn. And more observations on point:
1) The CIA makes an indefensible, nepotist hire of an incompetent “ambassador”,
2) Said incompetent publishes in the NYT a false account of his trip and conclusions, condemning the famous “16 words”,
3) Incompetent says his wife is “outed” as a “covert” agent by the White House in retaliation.
As a result, these actions raise many questions the MSM just can’t seem to ask:
1) If Plame was in fact “covert”, why did the CIA allow Wilson to publish the NYT article?
2) How can the CIA credibly maintain the resultant notoriety wouldn’t hazard Plame’s “covert” status?
3) Why is the CIA permitted to maintain the fiction of covert status for Plame when it has allowed its covert operative to be thusly exposed?
4) Since there is no direct indictment for “outing” Plame, it stands to reason she was not covert in the first place, and this whole kerfuffle was/is based on protecting Wilson’s lies.
5) Should the unelected bureaucracy of the CIA be permitted to manipulate the elected Executive branch as Wilson/Plame did, using the pretense of national security as a shield against exposure of their manipulations and falsehoods?
6) Is there anyone who would trust the CIA to even walk their dog at this point?
7) If they charge Libby with obstruction of justice, false statements and perjury, what about Wilson? And how about a “misuse of funds” charge against Wilson, too, since by his own admission all he did in Niger was drink tea?
The political stench billowing from Langley is a national disgrace. This was a successful attempt by low-level bureaucrats to damage a sitting President during wartime, and to me is tantamount to treason. Equal in complicity in this disgraceful episode are the big media outlets which perpetuate Wilson’s lies, and continue to this day to lionize this despicable, worthless bag of shit. A pox on all your houses; I’d question your patriotism but it’s quite obvious you have none.
Update! Merely the latest of many reasons the media are treasonous scum.