August 7th, 2013

I’m just gonna say it: these cops are pussies.

When John Wrana was a young man, fit and strong and fighting in World War II with the U.S. Army Air Corps, did he ever think he’d end this way?

Just a few weeks shy of his 96th birthday, in need of a walker to move about, cops coming through the door of his retirement home with a Taser and a shotgun.

The old man, described by a family member as “wobbly” on his feet, had refused medical attention. The paramedics were called. They brought in the Park Forest police.

First they tased him, but that didn’t work. So they fired a shotgun, hitting him in the stomach with a bean-bag round. Wrana was struck with such force that he bled to death internally, according to the Cook County medical examiner.

I wasn’t at the scene, and maybe the police have a good explanation. But common sense tells me that cops don’t need a Taser or a shotgun to subdue a 95-year-old man.

And after doing some digging, I found there are two versions of events: The police version, and a new picture that raises questions of whether John Wrana was killed unnecessarily.

The Park Forest police version is that on the night of July 26, John Wrana, a resident of the Victory Centre senior living facility, threatened staff and paramedics with a 2-foot-long metal shoehorn and a metal cane. The police statement neglects to mention that the old man also used a walker, at least according to photographs supplied by Grapsas.

“Attempts were made verbally to have the resident comply with demands to drop the articles, to no avail,” the police statement reads. “The resident then armed himself with a 12-inch butcher type kitchen knife.”

But lawyer Grapsas says that Wrana’s family never saw a knife in his room and that staff also told him Wrana didn’t have such a knife.

Well, the cops are the “experts,” and all good Progressivist sheep know that we must leave all decisions, actions, and contemplation of same to the experts. Steyn:

I wonder what Mr Wrana’s final thoughts were of the country he fought for 70 years ago.

Oh, I just bet I could guess. And he’d’ve been right, too. What I wonder is what the people who are fighting for it now think. They swore an oath to defend a Constitution that no longer exists except as a historical artifact, to prop up a nation not worth spitting on, much less dying for. They’ve been sold a bill of goods, hoodwinked into dedicating their lives to defense of a country and a way of life that now exists only on paper, literally. I’d find that pretty damned upsetting if I was in their shoes. But maybe that’s just me.

Too much law enforcement in America has lost all sense of proportion: If you need six armed officers to police a nonagenarian in an old folks’ home, seven armed officers to police a 20-year old female you suspect might have a beer in her shopping bag, thirteen armed officers to terminate Giggles the baby doe, you’re doing it wrong – and you’re the real threat to public order.

Links to the stories about the Fearless Bambi Killers and the Great Beer Bust are provided earlier in Mark’s post, if you hadn’t already heard about ’em. Yes, they’re just as fucked-up and repellent as they seem to be at first disgraceful blush. Every decent cop in Amerika–all three of ’em–should be hanging their heads in shame over them, and the who even knows how many others like them that happen every single day.

It isn’t just law enforcement that’s lost all sense of proportion, either. As I keep saying: we’re Mayberry as run exclusively by Barney Fifes, with no more Andy Taylors around to ride herd on him and keep his asininity and hysteria in check with some simple common sense. And that hysteria suddenly becomes a lot less endearing when it’s allowed to run riot.

Comments appear entirely at the whim of the guy who pays the bills for this site, and may be deleted, edited, ridiculed, or otherwise pissed over as he in his capricious fancy sees fit. Thank you.
  1. Thomas Sather
    August 7th, 2013 at 09:14 | #1
    When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away - especially if you're being threatened by a shoe horn.

At 72 years of age I haven't trusted these cretins to be honest or trustworthy for the past 45 years.
    Cops lie, especially in court, and there fellow thugs cover for them. These jack-booted drooling thugs are nothing but cowards with a badge killing and maiming at will with no responsibility or consequence. Notice that in incidences like this the responsible thugs are never identified by name.

2. kevino
    August 7th, 2013 at 09:50 | #2
    RE: "The old man, described by a family member as "wobbly" on his feet, had refused medical attention. The paramedics were called. They brought in the Park Forest police."

"We're from the Government, and we're here to help."

"They" being the retirement home? Why didn't they call a real police department?

Let's see, wanna-be cops acting outside of their jurisdiction (i.e. Park Forest Police outside of a forest or park). So all of their actions, including discharging firearms, are criminal offenses.
    Excessive force.
    Destruction of private property.
    Wrongful death.

I want to be on the jury for this. Please. Please. Please.
    I don't think it's cruel and unusual to round up each and every person responsible for this, tase them one-at-a-time, and then hit them at the correct range with bean bag rounds. (The man died because he was frail and because the distance was *WAY* too close.)

We need to have a serious discussion on the militarization of the police force and "common sense" regulation of the police department. These clowns need to have their toys taken away.

3. kevino
    August 7th, 2013 at 13:38 | #3
    My mistake: Park Forest, IL is the town police department.

Google: Park Forest is a village located south of Chicago in Cook County and Will County, Illinois, United States. As of the 2010 census, the village had a population of 21,975.

However, the individuals involved, their supervisor, and their training officers should be fired -- at least.

4. Anna Dostoyevskaya
    August 7th, 2013 at 13:41 | #4
    I live not too far from Park Forest so, when I heard about this, I was really shook. The cops involved in this incident appeared to have used the judgment of Barney Fife and the brutal force of Vic Mackey (from "The Shield"). Whenever a patrol car from Park Forest or any of the other local communities (e.g., Chicago Heights, Richton Park, University Park, Steger) pulls up behind me, I get a little nervous and let out a sigh of relief when they either turn or pass me. And I'm not a "minority" (but neither was John Wrana). If the Park Forest cops believe that they were warranted with using a shotgun and a taser on a 96-year-old man with a walker, how might they respond to a middle-aged or younger person whom they believe to be "copping an attitude"?
  5. Sheila
    August 7th, 2013 at 14:48 | #5
    Almost didn't respond to this because, well, there are no words, at least, nothing adequate to convey my feelings. I AM hanging my head in shame—not for myself or my compadres—but for these idiots and others like them, swelling the ranks of police departments and federal agencies everywhere. Having been a police officer and a federal agent, I’ve seen this coming for years. Those promoted, primarily, are suck-ups and even f**k-ups, pushed upstairs and into management positions for reasons having nothing to do with competence. These cretins then become trainers and policy makers. While this hasn’t contaminated all departments everywhere, what are the odds that it won’t, if not contained and reversed? But, with the present administration in power—I’m not holding my breath.

As stated the last time I posted regarding disreputable police officers, these cops should be prosecuted. Here, they would be—no other course of action would be just. Well, here, they wouldn’t be on the streets in the first place, having displayed such damnable discretion on other occasions, I’m sure. It’s like so much that happens today, someone sees the total inadequacy of an individual to do his or her job, but looks away or explains it away. I guarantee, scratch these guys and their history will show other incidences of idiocy, leading to this horrendous crime under color of authority.

A sad day for the poor man involved, his family, and for all of us—including those proud to have been part of (dare I say) a once noble/still noble in pockets of this country, profession.

6. August 7th, 2013 at 22:40 | #6
    When all else fails, vote from the rooftops.
  7. Brad Ervin
    August 8th, 2013 at 04:26 | #7
    The present administration? They have nothing to do with the local events that are playing out. Don't misunderstand me; I am NOT defending our national disgrace but the same people that voted them in, voted in the local authorities. And for the same reasons: You WILL do as you're told.

The assault on our liberties are caught in a pincers from the national government on one side and the local governments on the other. It's our local schools that call the police when a kid draws a picture of a gun; it's our local medical caregivers that call the police when a patient gets uppity; it's the local authorities that will send drones over your house to keep an eye out; it's the local swat team that will smash your door down in the middle of the night; and it's the national government that takes out local authorities when they refuse to prosecute "white" guys that shoot innocent black kids.

But remember, it isn't the one that incites the voters; it's the one that counts the votes that will determine the future.

8. Snim Asj
    August 10th, 2013 at 11:05 | #8
    At least Barney Fife only had one round, and in his shirt pocket at that. They are running wild with a reasonable approximation of full battle rattle.

"Disgraceful" is too mild a word for this incident, and that leaves out the facts that:
    a.) This kind of thing is happening daily,
    and
    b.) The next time I hear of any sanction actually being applied to the perpetrators of such an outrage will be the first.

This is so not the country I grew up in. Oh, and a big shout-out to all the people who laughed, sneered, and mocked me over the last few decades when I predicted this was where we would end up.

Comments are closed.
Home > Life in a once-great nation, Tards, WTF?! > “The Japanese military couldn’t get him at the age he was touchable, in a uniform in the war. It took 70 years later for the Park Forest police to do the job”
Guitar Lessons - Renegade Motorhome - Costa Rica - British Virgin Islands