Smitty takes the guy to task, but actually, he’s right, albeit purely by accident:
The GOP’s stated ideology of smaller government, individual responsibility, and moral behavior surely could not have resulted in economic policies that have resulted in what Barack Obama now has to clean up:
- more people out of work than at any time in decades
- the end of the budget surplus that Bill Clinton deeded to George Bush
- a federal government that was bloated by cronyism at best and criminal malfeasance at worst
- the short-term government control, beginning with strokes of Bush’s pen in 2007 & 2008, of many large banks
- and, worst of all, the destruction of millions of Americans’ hard-earned life savings while corporate executives and government leaders argued that they deserved their golden parachutes, fat tax cuts, and free government bailout money
How could the GOP’s “stated ideology” of smaller government, etc. have resulted in the mess Obama is now rushing to exacerbate and expand, the better to stampede us into socialism’s slaughterhouse chute? Easy: it didn’t. The GOP’s betrayal of those principles is what got us here; the principles themselves worked perfectly well, right up until they were abandoned.